Queensland Superkart Round 1 Race Report

" Round 1 of the 2018 Queensland Superkart Series kicked off over the weekend at Lakeside Raceway with the 125cc Touch and Go class (TAG) and 85cc Gearbox running Saturday and the 250 and 125cc Gearbox karts attacking the track Sunday.

Clear blue skies greeted us as we rolled in Lakeside Park, Qualifying saw the usual suspects of Peter Nuske #16 in his 125cc Rotax powered Scorpion Kart with a 1:01:45 leading the field from Scott Jamieson in his 85cc Yamaha Toni Kart 1:03.94.

Race 1 saw Peter Nuske clear off into the distance with Nicholas Marshall (125cc Rotax Arrow) engaging in a dog fight with Scott Jamieson over second place with Nick beating Scott by 0.03 at the line. further back Cameron Moxley and Keith Taylor were locked wheel to wheel in their 85cc Gladiator's until a small mistake by Keith let Cameron claim 4th position by 1.3 seconds.

Race 2
A war of attrition in race 2 with 4 karts failing to finish from either mechanical drama's or driver errors. Peter Nuske again cleared away for an easy win while Keith Taylor came home second and Cameron Moxley 3rd. Nicholas Marshall managed to throw a chain while Scott Jamieson melted a hole in his piston.

Race 3
With only 2 other categories between race 2 and 3 the pits were a hive of activity trying to get everyone back out on tack. Unfortunately Scott and Drene Jameison weren't able to get back on track after their DNF's in race 2. Peter Nuske did what he does best sprinting away from the front of the field to another comfortable win. Nicholas Marshall came home in second from Cam Moxley, Roger Dyke and Keith Taylor suffering engine issues in 5th.

Another beautiful day greeted competitors on day 2 of the opening round. Qualifying got underway and it was the Weier Family Racing's GAS GAS powered Anderson Maverick with Tim Weier driving that took a comfortable pole position with a 54.9 second lap from AGL's Lachlan Crisp 57.9 in his GAS GAS powered Anderson Mirage. Jonathan Bothamly in his TM powered F1 Chassis 3rd and Phil Silcock in his Honda powered AVOIG 4th. AGL's other team member Gareth Crisp spun coming out of Eastern Loop before setting a fast time and Johhny La Spina had a scary seize in his Honda Powered PVP just before the kink on his first flying lap and was unable to repair the engine damage.

Race 1
Tim made the jump from the start and was never challenged with Lachlan retiring after 2 laps with chassis issues. Gareth Crisp picked up the pieces for the AGL team to come home second with Phil Silcock getting the better of Rocket Rod Tait for 3rd. Jon Bothamely had a DNF after loosing the rear of his kart near the old bridge and making minor contact with the ARMCO.

Race 2
Another good start saw the WFR machine leading into turn 1 and again was never challenged with Lachlan again retiring with engine issues and Gareth spinning off out of Hungary on the final lap. Phil again keep his nose clean to lead home Rocket Rod and Jon Bothamely after some speedy repairs by his team between races.

Race 3
Tim again lead off into turn 1 with Gareth now on new tyres chasing hard on lap 5 Gareth made a move pulling out of the slipstream and taking the lead into the carousel his lead was short lived though as approaching the bridge the rear end of the kart stepped out over a bump pitching him towards the inside of the track before over correcting and bouncing out to the outside. Lighting reflexes saw him keep it off the wall but is the mealy he knocked the top radiator hose on the engine head engine a nice shower of coolant before retiring to pit lane. Tim would then go on unchallenged to clean sweep the day with Phil Silcock coming home second taking a clean sweep the 125cc Gearbox class ahead of Rocket Rod Tait.

Thanks to the clubs sponsors for helping out notably Red Jam Design for printing up a new banner for the club. Action Sports Photography for their work in capturing the on/off track action.

Also thanks to Roger Amiss and Craig Philp for performing the role of driving standard observer over the weekend and Doug Amiss and Alex Hussey for manning the scales and all the other members who helped out over the weekend.

The Series moves on to Round 2 at Queensland Raceway in 4 weeks on May 5th and 6th.

Come down and check out all the on-track action!!!"